Thursday, July 9, 2009

Israel, The Experience




The change of planes in Madrid was a hassle, and I had luggage issues (damage to a new bag) but I got to Israel whole, sailed through the airport and got my first errand out of the way for a student, a trip to the Elvis Shop in Neve Ilan for Mr. Max Hyman, whose mom Rachel works with me. Yossi took pictures (they will be uploaded from his camera later) of me with the King. We had a light dinner and I unpacked some of the stuff I brought.

This morning, up at 6, rode with Yossi to Herzliya where I hung out and used a computer for an hour. Then to a store that sells electrical supplies to buy some adapters and then the train to Tel Aviv University to see the Diaspora Museum; it has not been updated since my last visit over 20 years ago, and for me, not worth the price of admission (or the 20 minute walk in the heat from the station) - they mostly have replicas and dioramas of things most America visitors (at least those in my circle) would be familliar with - scenes of weddings, shtetls, synagogues. It really was unremarkable. I then got back on the train to meet my friend Shlomi Zadok (I'm using his office's wi fi to write this) to hang out for a bit because its CRAZY HOT here; I'm avoiding the heat of the day right now. Later I plan to go to the Shuk Carmel and then back to Yossi's office so we can go play poker together (hoping to do some fundraising while I'm fun-raising)

Maybe another entry before shabbat, maybe not. There may be a winery or two on tomorrow's agenda.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous! Just hearing about you being in Israel warms my heart. Can't wait to see the pic of you and the king :-) Love the fun-raising joke, good luck with that. Hope you had a wonderful Shabbat and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures....Rebecca

    ReplyDelete