Monday, July 20, 2009

Met my British counterpart

Just a brief update today. Mitzvahs were set aside for the morning so I could have some academic time with my teacher and colleague, Rabbi Morey Schwartz at Hebrew University (I took the bus up to Mt. Scopus). I gave him some dates from the field about some of the Melton materials I have been using and how I am bringing in more experiential and multi-media pieces into my teaching. He gave me some updates on alternative texts, materials make-overs and other good stuff. I always learn from my time with him. As a bonus, I got to see my dear friend of 9 years, Tamar Katz, who sends warm regards to the whole Washington Mini-School.

For lunch I met with Arnie and Danni (Danielle) Franks, Founder and Director of My Israel Charities, A British non-profit that supports some of the same people and projects we do, and some different ones. Danni is very earnest, very intense, very impatient and very driven. She raised about a half million pounds last year. We will stay in touch and share information where we can.

The afternoon I went back into town to run some errands and meet a few people. Used the wi-fi on Ben Yehuda and didn't see anyone I knew (Marcy, don't go into shock), had a very refreshing grapefruit juice, bought a few books (nothing too heavy - have to save the weight for wine). A pleasant, not too hectic day. Tomorrow's agenda - Big Brothers Big Sister of Israel in the morning, HUC in the afternoon, dinner with my friends Shlomi and Hila. I manage to keep busy. Hope everyone else is enjoying their summer as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment